Friday, January 29, 2010

ACTon

We left the interstate for a canyon highway. Taz and I stared out the windows at the ugly barren landscape. He tells me he picked this place to get clean cause its near nothing. No way out. I did too. We drive through dirt mountains sparsely covered with brush and veined with two track roads to nowhere. We pass the add outcropping of buildings that I’m sure million dollar ranches but only look like a collection of landscaped pole barns form this distance. Nothing is scenic. My vague plan is to stay out here in the desert, away from Hollywood, but how can I? This is Mars.

As we turn off the highway Taz points out an arrow shaped sign with Acton painted on it. It’s not just a rehab, it’s a town. Its funny cause I’d been thinking it had some deeper meaning, Act On your problems or whatever. Take ACTion. We drive by the road into the town. Old store fronts surrounded by shacks and trailers. Spahn ranch. We’re in a valley surround by rocks dirt and tumbleweeds. I wonder how many bodies are buried out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment